How to Fight Summer Pests without Pesticides
Summer temperatures can be pleasant, but the warm weather is also attractive to insects and rodents. This is the time of year when pests make their way into your home, especially if they find the right living conditions. All they really need to get comfortable is water, food and a place where they can hide.
You can fight these pests without pesticides if you follow these suggestions:
Restrict access to food sources
• Tightly close any food packaging, like boxes and bags of cookies, chips, cereals or candy.
• Store items such as flour, sugar, rice or pasta in airtight bags or plastic containers.
• Clean any food spills or stains off the countertop, floor, and other areas throughout the kitchen.
• Do not let crumbs sit in pet dishes.
• Remember to take out the kitchen trash frequently, preferably every night.
Limit access to sources of water or liquids
• Try not to leave water drops or other liquids in the kitchen or anywhere else around the house.
• Wash and dry your dishes immediately after each meal.
• Repair leaky faucets or pipes in the bathroom, kitchen, backyard and any other area of the house.
• When gardening or watering plants, don’t leave puddles or excess water.
• Open the bathroom window after bathing to clear out the steam.
Limit entry access to your home
• Seal cracks around pipes, doors and windows.
• Repair holes or tears on screen doors and windows.
• Close off the spaces underneath doors.
• Throw away or recycle unwanted boxes or wrappers.
• Put mouse traps inside and outside the home in areas where children or pets can’t access.