The Ultimate Moving Checklist
Whether you’re moving across town or across the country, getting ready takes lots of pre-planning. From Real Simple magazine, a moving checklist:
Two Months Before
• Sort and Purge – Go through every room in your home and decide what you will take and what you will get rid of. Plan a garage sale and/or gather up your charitable donations now.
• Get Estimates – Get a few onsite moving estimates—not over the phone—in writing. Keep all estimates, receipts and notes in a binder.
• Transfer School Records – Arrange for all school records to be transferred to the new school district.
Six Weeks Before
• Gather Supplies – Start stockpiling moving boxes, tape and markers.
• Pare Down – Begin using up stuff you don’t want to move, like frozen foods and cleaning supplies.
One Month Before
• Choose a Mover – Get written confirmation of the date, costs and details.
• Start Packing – Begin with things you use least often, like extra dishes, out-of-season clothing and recreational items. Label boxes in terms of content, and where in the new house they should go.
• Separate What You Will Carry – Stow away any valuables, like jewelry or important papers, that you will be transporting yourself in a safe box.
• Change Your Address – Do it online or at your local post office. Alert your bank, credit card issuer, utility company and any magazine providers to the change. Ask a neighbor to check your mailbox for a few weeks after your move.
• Forward Medical Records – Arrange to have them sent to your new medical provider.
Two Weeks Before
• Withdraw Your Safety Deposit Box – Store valuables in your safe box at home.
• Confirm Moving Arrangements – Call the moving company to confirm the date and time.
One Week Before
• Refill Prescriptions – Be sure you have enough for several weeks.
• Get Serious about Packing – Pack suitcases for each family member with enough to wear for a few days.
Two Days Before
• Defrost the Fridge/Freezer – Give away any perishables.
• Sign Mover Inventory List – Keep a copy for your records.