Freshen Your Space with Spring Decorating Tips
The flowers are blooming and the sun is shining. Perhaps you have already spend some quality time in your garden or sprucing up your lawn. But what are you doing to welcome spring inside your home this year?
“It’s easy to usher in the warm weather and bring new life inside, no matter what style you prefer,” says Kris Woodcock, VP of Merchandising for Ashley Home Furniture. “From facing furniture toward the light, to placing a favorite armchair near a pretty outdoor view, to opening curtains wide—it’s relatively simple to make nature’s biggest spectacle part of the décor.”
The following spring decorating tips can help you greet the season in style:
Whiten Up. White is fresh; it simulates natural daylight and offers an easy transition between indoors and out. Welcome in spring by adding this simple hue to your home:
• Paint your kitchen cabinets white. White kitchens aren’t just white-hot; they’re cool and coastal-feeling. Choose cool whites for a modern feel; warmer antique whites for a classic, vintage or rustic feel.
• Place white tulips or Easter lilies in a glass vase or pitcher.
• Use the one-color-plus-white rule for toss pillows, table linens and bedding. Just choose patterns that pair white with another color for a light-and-airy effect.
Go Green. Spring greens are uniquely cool and warm, on the border between warm yellow and cool blue. Even a hint of this breezy hue makes our rooms more open and airy, blurring boundaries between indoors and out. Welcome in spring by adding this fresh hue to your home:
• Place limes in a sleek glass bowl or hurricane for the perfect centerpiece.
• Invest in a set of spring green napkins or placemats. Green is one of nature’s neutrals and works with almost any color.
• Choose a leafy green toss pillow or lime-colored table linens.
Make Hay. Sisal, straw, raffia, jute, coir, and seagrasses feel casual and coastal, recalling gardening hats and picnic baskets. As much a natural color as a natural texture, they put us in a pared-back, warm state of mind. Welcome in spring by adding nature’s favorite texture to your home:
• Place a sisal rug or jute rug under a table, seating group or bed. Or place a woven welcome mat at the front door, indoors and out.
• Add square or rectangular-shaped woven baskets on shelves or under the coffee table. Fill them with anything and everything to reduce clutter elsewhere.
• Add a wicker or rattan accent chair (or a pair of chairs) in the living room, next to a window in the bedroom.
• Use jute or straw placemats. They add an outdoorsy texture to plate settings.